Google search console is the most powerful tool that helps businesses to optimize their profiles and how Google’s search engine considers a website for ranking. Let’s learn about how to optimize your website with Google Search Console.
How To Get Started?
- Go to Google Search Console
- Click on the Start Now button
- Sign in using a Google / Gmail account
- Enter your website URL after logged in, be sure to enter the URL correctly.
- Click the “Add Property” button to continue.
- Verify ownership of your website using the HTML tag method.
- Click on the HTML tag and copy the code.
- Install and activate the plugin to Insert Headers and Footers on your WordPress site.
- Go to Settings, Insert Headers and Footers page
- Paste the copied code
- Add the HTML tag and click on the ‘Save’ button
- Go back to Google Search Console settings and
- Click on the Verify button to verify ownership of the website
- After getting a success message says that You have successfully added your site to Google Search Console. You can now click on the ‘Go to Property’ link to visit your Google Search Console dashboard”.
- If it is unsuccessful, clear Wordpress cache and try again.
Steps To Set Preferred Domain Name
Google accepts 2 different pages, with and without WWW.
You have no control over people who link your website but it will affect your website's performance. The easy way to get rid of this is to use the Preferred Domain setting” in Google Search Console. To do this switch to the older version of Search Console by clicking on the Go to the old version. Switch to the old Google Search Console.
Go to “Site settings” and click on the gear icon to set the preferred domain. The three options for the preferred domain.
- not set a preferred domain name
- With WWW
- Without the WWW prefix.
Note: make sure to use the one that you have used earlier and click ok to save your changes.
Set Your Target Country
You can set your targeted country in the older version of your Google Search Console. Under the Search, Traffic menu click “International Targeting”, then select the country you want.
You are not limiting your website reach to other countries if your content is relevant to user's searches from other countries means it will show. Setting a target audience can help you to target an audience based on the location.
Adding An XML Sitemap
An XML sitemap is a way to tell search engines It also notifies engines which links on your website are important. These XML sitemaps help engines better crawl and index your content more efficiently. Install and activate the “Yoast SEO” plugin, it will generate an XML sitemap automatically. Here is an example of how it looks like
On Google Search Console dashboard, click the “Sitemaps” on the left column and then paste the last part of the URL then add your sitemap URL, and click on the submit button to save the changes.
Now your sitemap is ready to improve your website’s crawling.
Google Search Console To Google Analytics
This connection will help you to analyze your search console data. This provides you with a new perspective on your top-performing content and keywords. MonsterInsights is the best Google Analytics plugin for WordPress.it helps you to find out the top keywords from Google Search Console.
The above steps are the ways to set up your website with Google Search Engine. The software will help you to find out index errors and queries and keywords your website is ranking for.